Page updated on 2/21/2023. If you have updated information on your municipality's history programs, please contact Bill Truran.
Sussex County citizens and visitors,
Welcome to Sussex County history. This page is intended to be a foundation upon which to present our rich heritage. Here we recognize and list the places and organizations whereby a person can find ways to enjoy what we have. The purpose is to build a bridge from the past, to be appreciated and enhanced today, and preserved for future generations.
Sussex County Historian
News, Updates, and Announcements
|2022 Marker Awardees Announced||2023 Marker Awardees Announced|
Historic Marker Program
The awardees will be provided assistance by the County to share in the cost as provided in the agreement, and are able to use the Sussex County sign format.
The marker selection committee consists of Ron Tappan, Keith Nelson, Holly Sollitto, and myself, Bill Truran.
I am pleased to have been supported with an informal subcommittee by renowned Sussex County historians Ron Dupont, Mario Poggi, Jennie Sweetman and Wayne McCabe.
Thank you for your support in keeping our Sussex County history alive and recognized.
Young Historians Program
There is a need to proactively engage our next generations in the preservation of our common history. Sussex County would benefit from citizens working to achieve preservation. We introduce a program to recognize those who would actively work toward this goal. Please help us raise new historians.
Special County Programs
Babe Ruth in Sussex County: Photos and Stories (COMING SOON)
Contact: Bill Truran for more information.
Local History Organizations
- Byram Township Historical Society
- Waterloo Village Historic Site
- Canal Society of NJ Museum in Waterloo Village
- Old Byram
- Montague Association for the Restoration of Community History (MARCH)
- High Pt. Monument / High Point Park Historic District
- Deckertown Union Cemetery
- Elias Van Bunschooten Museum
- Lusscroft Farm
- Old Clove Church
- Space Farms Zoo & Museum
- Sussex-Wantage Historical Society
Museum Tour Videos
- Branchville Borough Historical Society Museum Tour
- Sparta Historical Society Van Kirk Museum Tour
- Stillwater Township Historical Society Museum Tour