Flatbrookville, Walpack Township (2022)
Flatbrookville was once a self-sustained hamlet with stores, mills, dwellings, two hotels, a church and a school. Walpack Township’s first post office was established here in 1828.
Early 1700 sites of Frontiersman Benjamin Barton’s mill, a Moravian missionary school, a Dutch Reformed Church, and Fort Walpack built for the French and Indian War and later used for the Revolutionary War, are nearby. The Lower Walpack Cemetery was established circa 1737.
The name Walpack was derived from the Lenape word for the whirlpool formed at the Delaware River’s bend.
Decker’s Ferry was used to transport Revolutionary War soldiers. It was later moved one mile northwest and renamed Rosenkrans Ferry. Smith’s Ferry also operated nearby.
The late 1960’s saw inhabitants removed, and remaining structures destroyed for the Tocks Island Dam Project.
Erected by the Walpack Historical Society and the Sussex County Board of Commissioners, submitted by Mr. Don Stieh.