Sussex County Skylands Ride customers have the right to:
- Courteous service at all times
- Clean and safe vehicles
- On time service, conditions permitting
- Assistance in boarding and exiting the bus
- File a Grievance
Customers must call the Transit Office for the following:
- Registration: Your name, address, telephone number and other basic information will be entered into our computer system. You will also need to be prepared to give us the name and phone number of an emergency contact person, information on your mobility/disability needs, and appropriate identification numbers.
Trip Requests: Trips must be scheduled no more than 7 days in advance and no less than 48 hours before your trip. You will also need the name, address and telephone number of your destination. Trips are scheduled on a first come, first served basis, so the more notice you give, the more likely it is that we can accommodate you.
Pickup Time: You will be given an approximate pick-up time when you schedule your ride. You should be ready 60 minutes prior to your pick-up time and should proceed to the bus as soon as it arrives, as the driver will only wait five minutes beyond your pickup time.
Cancellations: If you have to cancel a trip, you must call during the office hours of 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on the day before your scheduled trip. Excessive cancellations and no-shows (including cancellations at the door) will result in suspension of service. See policy below.
- Two no-shows within 90 days will result in a written warning to the customer.
- The third no-show within the same 90 days will result in a two week suspension of services, with written notice to include information on our grievance procedure.
- The fourth no-show within the same 90 days will result in permanent loss of service, with written notice to include information on our grievance procedure.
- Individual cancellations of five or more days in one month will result in a written warning to the customer.
- Cancellations of 10 or more days in 90 days will result in a two week suspension of service, with a written notice to include information on our grievance procedure.
- Cancellations of 15 or more days in 90 days will result in permanent loss of service, with a written notice to include information on our grievance procedure.
- Cancellation of standing orders for multiple trips is considered a temporary discontinuation and not a cancellation.
- Weather-related cancellations are exempt from this policy.
- Assistance: If you require assistance in boarding, tell the Transit Office when you call to schedule your trip. Customers must, however, be able to travel independently or with your own companion. No bus attendants are provided. Drivers will assist you in boarding and exiting the vehicle. Customers traveling with oxygen equipment are responsible for their own equipment.
Other travel requirements:
- Packages: Drivers will also assist you in getting your parcels on and off the vehicle. However, all parcels must be able to be safely stowed out of the aisles. You will be limited to five (5) parcels per trip. For example, a case of water counts as a parcel, as does each bag.
- Food and drink: Customers are not allowed to eat or drink while on the vehicle.
Smoking: Smoking is prohibited on all vehicles.
- Noise and abusive language/conduct: Excessively noisy or abusive language or conduct can result in immediate expulsion from the vehicle. Playing a radio or other music player without an earplug is also prohibited. For safety reasons, we ask that you do not talk to the driver while the bus is in motion.
- Seatbelts: Seatbelts shall be worn.
- Moving about: Customers should not stand or move about while the vehicle is in motion.
- Service animals: Service animals are welcome on all vehicles. No other animals are permitted.
- Fares: There is no charge for any paratransit service. However, donations are encouraged, and there are envelopes available for this purpose. Suggested donations are $1.50 per one-way trip in county and $3.00 per one-way trip out-of-county.
Tipping: Tipping is strictly prohibited.