Thomas Woolverton's Tavern
- Thomas Woolverton's Tavern
THOMAS WOOLVERTON'S TAVERN (2004)
"In 1735, Royal Governor Jonathan Belcher ordered Sussex County's Government and Courts to be moved from Log Gaol to the tavern - house of Thomas Woolverton (1717-1760). Justice of the Peace and Tax Collector, until a permanent Courthouse was erected in Newton in 1765. This move arose from disputes between County Freeholders and Jonathan Petit, a surveyor and land-speculator, who attempted to secure personal and economic benefit from locating the County Seat on his lands. Due to ongoing hostilities between frontier settlers and Indians during the French and Indian War, the court sessions were suspended 1756-1757."
The marker signifying the historic importance of Thomas Woolverton's Tavern was placed in the year 2004. The marker is located on Pequest Road in Green Township.
Photo courtesy of Patte Haggerty-Frato