HAINESVILLE NEW JERSEY (2005)
This marker, commemorating the history of Hainesville, New Jersey located in Sandyston Township, was placed in the year 2005. This marker is located on the lawn in front of the Sandyston Township Municipal Building on Sussex County Route 645.
"The original name of "Sandyston" was changed to honor N.J. Governor Haines in 1845. This hamlet was created on a 1,000 acre plot purchased from the Gardner Tract by Simon Courtright before the Revolutionary War. Ownership passed to Peter Hotalen, then John Shay, and in 1825 to Parshall Howell who opened the first hotel and established a post-village with mail delivered by a four-horse stage. John D. Everitt was the first schoolmaster in 1815. The "Shaytown Cemetery" was created in 1812 on lands shared by Benjamin Depue and Timothy Shay. The "Reformed Church" was built in 1855."
Photo courtesy of Patte Haggerty-Frato