NEWTON GREEN (2000)
"The only Colonial county seat in New Jersey where a court house on its original site fronts a town square or public Green:
In 1908 architect J.J. Vreeland added an upper story and Classical porch to the County Clerk and Surrogate Offices, built by Brink & Knox in 1859. It became the County Park Building in 1930. The Romanesque Revival Hill Fountain was built of local limestone in 1895 by gift from Joshua Hill, a native of Sussex County"
This marker is located on the Green in the Town of Newton at the intersections of Routes 206/94 and Spring Street. The marker was placed in the year 2000.
Photo courtesy of Patte Haggerty-Frato