Wawayanda Furnace, Vernon (2020)
Around 1812 an industrial village began here that included grist, saw, shingle, and stamping mills; an office; barns; storehouses; dairies; a general store; blacksmith shops; a bunkhouse; and numerous dwellings. William L. Ames of the Ames Shovel Co. built this iron furnace in 1846 to produce pig iron by extracting local iron ore, charcoal, and limestone. The furnace became the center of the industrial village, using waterpower from Wawayanda Lake. Pig iron was transported by wagon down Wawayanda Road to the Erie Railroad at Chester, where it was shipped to the Hudson River. During its lifetime the furnace consumed over 6,000 acres of forest for charcoal fuel. The furnace ceased operation in 1869.
Sponsored by the Vernon Historical Society, submitted by Ms. Jessi Palladini.