FRANKLIN FURNACE (2013)
The Great Mining Town
Franklin Furnace began before the Revolutionary War making iron from ore mined near Franklin Pond. An iron furnace was here from about 1765-1895. It began as a water-powered charcoal forge along the Wallkill River. This site housed a coal fired forge and foundry that included what was reported to be among one of the largest blast furnaces in the nation during the 1870's. Known as the "Model Mining Town of the East," Franklin has one of the largest zinc ore bodies on earth. Franklin Borough is known as the "Fluorescent Mineral Capital of the World.""
DONATED BY FRANKLIN HISTORICAL SOCIETY AND FRANKLIN BOROUGH IN COMMEMORATION OF FRANKLIN'S 100TH ANNIVERSARY. 2013
Coordinates on Google Maps: 41.110721, -74.587142
Photo: Thor Carlson