Millville Historic District
- Millville Historic District
MILLVILLE HISTORIC DISTRICT (2015)
Location: Clove Rd and Millville Rd in Montague Township
Inscription: This hamlet acquired its name from the grist & saw mills built along Shimers Brook. The first mill lot was acquired in 1722 from Solomon Davis & Thomas Stephenson. Two grist mills existed by the Revolutionary War. Captains Abram Shimer & James Bonell were stationed at a fort built to protect the mills. The hamlet grew to include a school, blacksmith shop, store, a Grange and river ferries. The Hon. Jacob Hornbeck and Isaac Bonnell who lived here were both New Jersey state legislators. Millville Road was created to allow direct access to the mills from farms on Clove Road.
Photo courtesy of Mario Poggi