Bevans, New Jersey
- Bevans, New Jersey
BEVANS, NEW JERSEY (2010)
Location: Bevans Rd & Peter's Valley Rd in Peters Valley (Walpack)
Inscription: Originally named for early settler and surveyor Peter Van Neste in 1761. Nicknamed Hen's Foot, The Corners, and finally Bevans for its Postmaster James C. Bevans in 1829. The Peter's Valley Society for Literature was est. Jan. 1, 1813. The Dutch Reformed Church at Peter's Valley was built in 1838. The Universalistic Church was gathered in 1847. The historic "Old Mine Road" and Delaware River are to the West. Peter's Valley flouring mill ruins on the Big Flatbrook lie nearby. Bevans was lost to the Tocks Island Dam Project of 1960-70's and the name Peter's Valley was reinstated. Today this hamlet and surrounding area belong to the National Park Service.
Photo courtesy of Mario Poggi