WALLPACK, N.J. (2007)
"Wallpack Township, formed in 1731 out of Hunterdon County, included the present townships of Montague, Sandyston and the former Pahaquarry. The Delaware River forms the western boundary and the Old Mine Road, supposedly built by Dutch miners before 1664, traverses the township. Anna Symmes, Mother-in-law of President William Henry Harrison, is buried in the Old Shapanack cemetery. In 1757 Jonathan Hampton constructed this road through the village to connect Elizabethtown and Morristown with Fort Shapanack for military supplies during the French and Indian and Revolutionary Wars. Two early ferries, Decker and Rosenkrans, operated between Walpack bend and Pennsylvania. Walpack Township is the oldest municipality in Sussex County.
The marker dedicated to the history of this beautiful section of Sussex County is located on the lawn in front of the Walpack Municipal Building in Walpack Center. This marker was part of the 2007 placement.
Photo courtesy of Patte Haggerty-Frato