Please select a year.
Design a Pin Contest - Salute to Military Veterans
"Design a Pin Contest" Announced for Sussex County Military Veterans Salute
(Newton, NJ) The Sussex County Board of Chosen Freeholders, the Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Senior Services, and the Sussex County Veterans Committee honors its veterans each year at the Sussex County Fairgrounds in November. This is a significant event that honors the sacrifices and contributions of our military veterans.
Each year a patriotic pin design contest is held to commemorate the event and to honor the veterans. Sussex County students in the 6th, 7th, and 8th grades are encouraged to submit a pin design for the contest and show their support and appreciation to the veterans of Sussex County, while gaining an understanding and knowledge of what the veterans have contributed and sacrificed. Entries from students who are home schooled will also be accepted.
The rules/requirements of the contest are as follows:
- Students in Grades 6, 7, and 8 are encouraged to submit a pin design. The actual pin size will be one inch by one inch (drawing for the design can be larger to show details). All designs must be hand drawn. Computer images will not be permitted.
- The pin design must include the county in words (Sussex County) and the year 2018.
- The pin design must be completed and submitted no later than June 1, 2018. The date is firm.
- Copies of the pin design must be forwarded to the Sussex County Division of Senior Services, One Spring Street, Newton, NJ 07860, by June 1, 2018. The following information must be submitted with each design entry:
- School name
- Student's name, address, and phone number (parents will be personally contacted by the pin design Chair.)
- School point of contact - name and phone number
- All entries will be reviewed and judged by members from the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion. One overall contest winner will be selected. Student and school information will not be provided to the judges in order to ensure fairness.
- The winner will be asked to be present at the Sussex County Salute to Military Veterans parade which will be held at the Sussex County Fairgrounds, Plains Road, Frankford, NJ on November 4, 2018. The winner will receive a cash award.
- The winner, their parents, and the school will be contacted by the contest Chair when a decision is rendered.
Additional information and questions can be directed to the Sussex County Division of Senior Services at 973-579-0555, ext. 1226 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Examples of past pin designs: