Home

Price's Switch Schoolhouse

PRICE'S SWITCH SCHOOLHOUSE (2008)

"Built in 1840, Price's Switch School was the last one-room schoolhouse to operate in Sussex County.  The building originally stood on Route 94, a quarter mile north of Price's Switch Road, but was moved to its current location in 1883.  It is the only schoolhouse that survives today completely intact with its coal stove, desks, chalkboards, and outhouse, just as it was in operation when its doors closed in June 1958.  Thousands of children and adults visit the school to learn about early education.  Price's Switch School was replaced in 1958 with the Vernon Consolidated School, known today as Walnut Ridge Elementary School."

The Price's Switch Schoolhouse is located on Price's Switch Road in Vernon Township.  The site is owned by the County of Sussex and jointly maintained by the Vernon Township Historical Society.  The marker commemorates the history of the school and its significance in Vernon Township and was placed in 2008. 

Photo courtesy of Cheryl (Delea) Thom

©2017 Sussex County
View Full Website