Home

Twin Bridges

TWIN BRIDGES (2002)

"Two rudimentary bridges were built to cross the Tockhockonetcong (now the Paulinskill) as Jonathan Hampton ordered the construction of the Military Road in 1756.  An essential supply line to the frontier fortification in the Delaware Valley, the Military Road was maintained until 1760.  A permanent pair of bridges was built when the abandoned lands and mills, formerly owned by Benjamin Barton, a Loyalist, were bought by Henry and Peter Bale around 1790.  A mill, located between the two bridges, produced gun stocks for use in the Civil War.  The mill was destroyed by fire in 1923."

The Twin Bridges Marker was placed in the year 2002.  This marker is located on County Route 626 in Hampton Township.

Photo courtesy of Patte Haggerty-Frato

©2017 Sussex County
View Full Website