Home

THE WESTBROOK - BELL HOUSE

THE WESTBROOK - BELL HOUSE (2003)

"Johannes Westbrook, who was among the earliest permanent settlers of the Minisink region, built this homestead around the year 1701.  It was subsequently fortified when incidents of hostility increased between the residents of New York and New Jersey during the height of the "Border War" between the two colonies.  Ownership of the land was finally secured from its Lenni Lenape owner for five pounds sterling and a generous measure of rum.  It is the oldest house still standing in Sussex County."

The marker signifying the Westbrook-Bell House is located on the Old Mine Road in Sandyston Township.  This marker was placed in the year 2003.

Photo courtesy of Patte Haggerty-Frato

©2017 Sussex County
View Full Website