Home

Joseph Sharp Iron Works

JOSEPH SHARP'S IRON WORKS (2004)

In 1768, Joseph Sharp erected a forge and furnace on the Wallkill River.  The village around the Sharp Iron Works became known as Sharpsborough, later becoming Hamburg.  Due to the expensive nature of the venture and competing forges, Sharp abandoned the property in 1774.  Stephen Ford used it to secretly produce cannonballs for the British during the American Revolution.  After reclaiming the property, Joseph Sharp Jr. built the stone grist mill in 1808.  Sharp's mill provided the flour for the American troops of the War of 1812.  The mill continued to serve the needs of the agricultural community of Sussex County." 

The marker signifying the contribution of local history by Joseph Sharp's Iron Works was placed in the year 2004.  This marker is located on Gingerbread Castle Road in Hamburg Borough, just off Route 23.

Photo courtesy of Patte Haggerty-Frato

©2017 Sussex County
View Full Website