Home

Placed 2008. Settled c.1750.  Named from early inhabitants fondness of snuff tobacco or perhaps because "snuff" was a euphemism for liquor.  Windham, Stockholm and other important forges produced iron goods.  Paterson & Hamburg Turnpike (organized here 1806) brought trade and hotels.  New Jersey Midland Railroad (1873) took "Stockholm" (originally a hamlet one mile eastward) for its station name, which gradually replaced "Snufftown".  Much of village razed following establishment of Newark's Pequannock Watershed c.1900.  Stockholm Methodist Church (1826) is listed on the State and National Register of Historic Places.  Stockholm School, later Municipal Building (1882) is another landmark.

Photos courtesy Cheryl (Delea) Thom

©2017 Sussex County
View Full Website