The LaFayette Foundry
"On this site stood the LaFayette Foundry, built in 1836 by Alexander Boyles. This operation employed many laborers and the success of the industry resulted in the sale of building lots along Union Turnpike (now Route 15) by Joseph Northrup, Jr. and Mr. & Mrs. John Cummins. This growth contributed to the establishment of Lafayette by the N.J. State Legislature on March 20, 1845. By the 1850 Census population grew to 927. Thereafter, the foundry business and population declined. The building was used as an apartment house prior to being razed in 1900. Population then was 717."
This marker was placed in 2007 and is located in the parking lot in the center of Lafayette on the corner of County Route 659 and State Route 15.
Photo courtesy of Cheryl (Delea) Thom