SUSSEX BOROUGH, NEW JERSEY (2008)
"Sussex Borough was settled by Peter Decker about 1742. It was incorporated from Wantage Township as the Borough of Deckertown on October 15, 1891. The name was changed to Sussex Borough on March 2, 1902. The Sussex Presbyterian Church, the oldest Church in Sussex Borough was organized in 1839 with 28 members. One of the oldest hospitals in Sussex County opened in Sussex Borough as the Dr. Alexander Linn Hospital in 1918. The last stagecoach ran on June 29, 1872."
This marker is located in the heart of Sussex Borough on Main Street at the Deckertown Commons Park adjacent to the former Sussex Theatre. The marker commemorates the history of "Deckertown" as it was formerly named. The marker was placed in 2008.
Photo courtesy of Cheryl (Delea) Thom