Sussex County won a 2013 Sunny Award for Website Transparency
Translate: (Disclaimer)
Historic Marker Program  
Thomas Woolverton's Tavern  
Print this page Print this page Email this page Email this page

Page Navigation

THOMAS WOOLVERTON'S TAVERN (2004)

"In 1735, Royal Governor Jonathan Belcher ordered Sussex County's Government and Courts to be moved from Log Gaol to the tavern - house of Thomas Woolverton (1717-1760).  Justice of the Peace and Tax Collector, until a permanent Courthouse was erected in Newton in 1765.  This move arose from disputes between County Freeholders and Jonathan Petit, a surveyor and land-speculator, who attempted to secure personal and economic benefit from locating the County Seat on his lands.  Due to ongoing hostilities between frontier settlers and Indians during the French and Indian War, the court sessions were suspended 1756-1757."

The marker signifying the historic importance of Thomas Woolverton's Tavern was placed in the year 2004.  The marker is located on Pequest Road in Green Township.

Photo courtesy of Patte Haggerty-Frato




Home | County Government | Departments | Municipalities | County Directory | Directions | County Tourism | Economic Development | Events Calendar | Newsletters & Alerts | News & Information | Meeting Schedules | Service Requests | Contact Information | Form Center | Links | F.A.Q.s | Employment Opportunities | Skylands Ride/Public Transportation | Recycling/Solid Waste | Road Closures | Feedback | Jobs4Jersey.com | Complete Streets
Use Mobile Site
Copyright © 2014 Sussex County. All Rights Reserved.
Visit Sussex County on YouTube Follow Sussex County on Twitter Visit Sussex County on Facebook Subscribe to Sussex County's RSS Feeds Subscribe to Sussex County Email News

Powered by Cit-e-Net