"Casper Shafer, a German emigrant settled this area circa 1742. By 1750, he built this stone house, later fortifying it with a stockade during the French and Indian War. His first grist mill, built 1743, was located upstream, replacing it in 1764 with a larger structure at the present site. This profitable enterprise shipped goods by flatboat down the Paulinskill and Delaware Rivers to Philadelphia. The mill rebuilt in 1844 after a fire was the last operating grist mill in New Jersey. A strong supporter of American Independence, Shafer was one of three delegates from Sussex County to serve in New Jersey's first legislative assemblies (1776-1779)."
The marker commemorating the historical significance of Casper Shafer was placed in Stillwater Township in the year 2004. This marker is located on County Route 610.
Photo courtesy of Patte Haggerty-Frato