Sussex County won a 2013 Sunny Award for Website Transparency
Translate: (Disclaimer)
Print this page Print this page Email this page Email this page

Page Navigation

NEWTON GREEN (2000)

"The only Colonial county seat in New Jersey where a court house on its original site fronts a town square or public Green:

In 1908 architect J.J. Vreeland added an upper story and Classical porch to the County Clerk and Surrogate Offices, built by Brink & Knox in 1859.  It became the County Park Building in 1930.  The Romanesque Revival Hill Fountain was built of local limestone in 1895 by gift from Joshua Hill, a native of Sussex County"

This marker is located on the Green in the Town of Newton at the intersections of Routes 206/94 and Spring Street.  The marker was place in the year 2000.

Photo courtesy of Patte Haggerty-Frato




Home | County Government | Departments | Municipalities | County Directory | Directions | County Tourism | Economic Development | Events Calendar | Newsletters & Alerts | News & Information | Meeting Schedules | Service Requests | Contact Information | Form Center | Links | F.A.Q.s | Employment Opportunities | Skylands Ride/Public Transportation | Recycling/Solid Waste | Road Closures | Feedback | Jobs4Jersey.com | Complete Streets
Use Mobile Site
Copyright © 2014 Sussex County. All Rights Reserved.
Visit Sussex County on YouTube Follow Sussex County on Twitter Visit Sussex County on Facebook Subscribe to Sussex County's RSS Feeds Subscribe to Sussex County Email News

Powered by Cit-e-Net