Back to Article List
Sussex County Storm Recovery Update - 10/31/2012 - 4:00 p.m.
Release Date: October 31, 2012
Sussex County Emergency Operating Center (EOC) - 10/29/2012
- 10/31/2012 - Emergency Declaration: Schools Closed November 1
- 10/31/2012 - Halloween postponed until Monday, November 5, 2012.
- Access the tabular list of power outages by NJ County and Municipality or use the Power Outage Map.
- From JCP&L: If you're w/o power or see a downed line, pls call 888-544-4877 or report online http://ow.ly/eQDPE This helps us plan recovery work
- Report Power Outages: Sussex Rural Electric: 877-504-6463
- Emergency Shelters
Sussex County Technical School
Hopatcong High School
Montague Municipal Building
- 10/31/2012 - Hotlines Established To Report Price Gouging
- Flood and Garbage Delay Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Post-Hurricane Food Safety (PDF)
- Storm Damage Map Viewer
Please follow the link to the basic map viewer that depicts current bridge and road closures around Sussex County. The application will allow you to pan and zoom throughout the County and the user can click on the point for basic information pertaining to the closure.
10/31/2012 - Sheriff's Sale cancelled for October 31, 2012. Will be re-scheduled.
10/31/2012 - Dep Advises Residents Statewide to Conserve Water in Aftermath of Storm.
10/31/2012 - Division of Social Services office at 83 Spring St. will open at 1 p.m. today, October 31, for emergency services for clients only.
10/31/2012 - Christie Administration Activates Volunteer Emergency Response Hotline
10/31/2012 - President Declares Major Disaster for New Jersey
10/31/2012 - 9:00 a.m. Update
Governor Christie cancels Trick or Treating until further notice.
Sussex County remains under a State of Emergency. Proclamation was modified on 10/30/2012 to extend closures of all schools and County Government Offices for this operational period.
An estimated 85% of the County is still without power, approximately 55,640 customers +/-
Sheltering operations continue at both the Sussex County Technical School and Hopatcong High School
JCP&L, Sussex Rural Electric, and Orange Rockland have additional assets in the county and will continue efforts to restore the utility infrastructure.
County Public Works to resume operations.
- 10/31/2012 - State Highways
Downed wires NJ 23 As of 8:30am, there are Downed wires on NJ 23 northbound at CR 517/Munsonhurst Rd in Franklin Twp. All lanes closed and detoured use caution.
Updates at 511NJ.org
- NJ211 Hurricane Resource Page
10/30/2012 - Press Release - Message from Sussex County Office of Emergency Management (pdf)
10/29/2012 - New Jersey Herald Video of Sussex County Emergency Operating Center
- Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning After an Emergency
- 10/29/2012 - President Obama Signs New Jersey Emergency Declaration
- NJ OEM Hurricane Survival Guide
- Radio Stations for Emergency Announcements
- Governor Declares Statewide State of Emergency
- County and Municipal Emergency Management Coordinators
- Resources and Requirements for Operators of Public Water Systems
- Christie Administration Issues Generator Safety Advisory Ahead of Hurricane Sandy
- NJ Office of Emergency Management Alerts and Update Blog
- Get the Red Cross hurricane app for your smart phone
During times of emergency, tune
in to the New Jersey State Emergency Alert System for the most up to date
WNJP Sussex 88.5 FM
WNNJ Newton 103.7 FM